With over 600 million people, a $2 trillion economy, and consistently one of the world's highest growth rates, the ASEAN countries represent a key market for both Western and Asian firms. Success in the region requires a sound understanding of each of the markets, a well-devised strategy, good relationships with decision makers, and trustworthy local partners. In addition, highly capable ASEAN firms are increasingly 'going global.'
The Cohen Group (TCG) has extensive experience in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, the Philippines, Burma, and other countries in the region, assisting firms from the US and Europe – and firms from within Southeast Asia. Sectors in which we have assisted clients include IT and internet, telecom, oil and gas, mining, aerospace, transportation, rail, finance, manufacturing, standards development, education, and conservation.
Secretary William Cohen has been active in Southeast Asia since the early 1970s. For 18 years, he chaired the Senate subcommittee responsible for US security relations in Asia, and was the leading congressional advocate for US-ASEAN trade and investment. He co-chairs the CSIS US-ASEAN Strategy Commission. Others at TCG have decades of experience in the region as Under and Assistant Secretaries and in other roles in government and business. Our team has included Thai, Indonesian, Singaporean and other local nationals.
In providing our services, we work with senior business executives from the region, as well as senior government officials including heads of government, cabinet and subcabinet members, senior civil servants, and parliamentarians. We also work with the ASEAN Secretariat, the media, trade associations, and NGOs. Examples of TCG service in the region to our clients include:
Strategy and Business Development
- Assisting a Thai firm by building its strategic planning process, advising on its global strategy, and directly assisting it to win $1 billion in revenue.
- Assisting a US manufacturer to complete large sales and gain recognition from US and Indonesian presidents.
- Advising a major Indonesian conglomerate on regulations, CSR, international partnerships, profile raising.
- Assisting to develop a plan for a multi-billion dollar industrial estate to leverage coal assets to establish metal production and processing plants.
- Assisting numerous firms in market analysis, market entry, business development and sales.
- Advising a Forbes Global 10 firm on Vietnam's regulatory reforms that impact a major client investment.
- Assisting a US entertainment firm to establish operations in the region, gaining needed local approvals.
- Assisting a US standards development organization to promote ASEAN-wide harmonized standards.
- Assisting a US firm to find and establish a relationship with an Indonesia partner for airport build-outs.
- Assisting an Indonesian university in forming partnerships with leading US colleges and graduate schools.
- Assisting a UK firm to secure a public-private partnership in Malaysia to develop a technology park.