Telecom, Media & Technology
The Cohen Group (TCG) assists IT firms, telecom firms and investors in the ICT sector on public policy, business development, and transactions. We have assisted firms from the US, India, China, Japan, Europe, Australia, and Israel to succeed in markets in North America, Latin America, Europe, China, India, Southeast Asia and the Middle East.
Our clients have included:
- Telecom carriers (Tier-1 mobile carriers; ILECs, including world's largest; facility-based CLECs);
- Satellite communications operators (from world's largest to advanced niche operators);
- Internet firms (portal; content; social networking);
- Network equipment developers and manufacturers (from world's largest to advanced niche players);
- User equipment developers and manufacturers (mobile phone components; mobile video devices; LMRS);
- Data center, enterprise network, and undersea cable builders and operators (including among world's largest);
- Providers of IT services, business process outsourcing (BPO), e-learning and other solutions; and
- Software firms (from world's largest to advanced, niche players), network integrators, cyber security firms.
Examples of TCG strategic, business development, legislative, and regulatory success for clients include:
Market Entry and Business Development
- Assisted multiple satellite communications operators to win public sector contracts in Latin America and Europe, as well as to address policy and regulatory issues globally.
- Assisted a data center operator to penetrate the Federal market and to develop facilities in Asia, providing hands-on help ranging from introductions to senior officials to securing appropriate electrical power.
- Secured B2B contracts for an IT services and BPO provider, advised it on pursuits with State governments, and established partnerships with US firms for it to pursue Federal government contracts.
Policy and Regulatory
- Secured a favorable FCC vote on a controversial technology deployment, achieving this within two months – after three years of industry failure – by building a sufficient coalition to overcome opposition.
- Intervened with US Government to secure access to Federal spectrum years ahead of schedule, enabling a Tier-1 mobile carrier to deploy advanced 3G/4G services in dozens of highly competitive US markets.
- Formed coalition of IT, banking, and other firms affected by Brazil's pending "internet constitution."
- Provided a global internet firm with policy and regulatory assistance, from intervening with legal authorities in the Middle East to stop data access requests to conducting risk analyses for future infrastructure build.
- Advised an Asian undersea cable operator on compliance and political risk of routing and landing options.
- Actively tracked US, Asian and European Union regulatory policy, maintaining dialogue with successive EU Commissioners and staff responsible for ICT, European Parliament leadership, FCC, Administration and Congress, anticipating emerging policies and correctly predicting details of critical regulatory decisions.
- Advised financial services clients on mitigating risks from Russian and other cyber threats.
- Assisted US firm with global litigation and policy strategy to defend its telecom IP from Asian infringers.
- Helped to secure CFIUS approval for SoftBank's $22 billion acquisition of Sprint Nextel and Clearwire.
- Secured regulatory approval in 2013 of $7 billion purchase of a US enterprise and cloud computing firm.
- Secured approval from CFIUS and China's Ministry of Commerce of many other telecom and IT mergers.
- Due diligence and other assistance on dozens of acquisitions of IT firms by strategic and financial buyers.